Thursday, October 15, 2009

Quilt Stories - My First Real Quilt

In 1998 I made my first "real" quilt for my daughter. She had just left home for college and I wanted to make something special for her.



I had always dreamed of making quilts and quilt making was a part of my soul, even before I actually made one.

My first memories of this quilt obsession was when I was about 10. I collected squares of fabric in a box, but never made the quilt. I Don't know what ever happened to that box of squares.

In the early 1980s I ordered Georgia Bonesteel's Lap Quilting book through the mail. I would sit and study this book for hours. I didn't have a quilt frame, so lap quilting was the answer!

So my first real quilt was a Sampler Quilt made from the patterns in this book. The anchor fabric was a "cat" print in blues, browns, and beiges. My daughter liked cats and the color blue a lot when she was young.

Here are close ups of a few of the blocks:

GRANDMOTHER'S FAN



MONKEY WRENCH



PINWHEEL AND CARD TRICKS



CRAZY PATCH



LITTLE DUTCH GIRL/SUNBONNET SUE



SAILS IN THE SUNSET



HOUSE ON THE HILL



THE BACK OF THE QUILT



Not shown is the top right hand block which is a friendship block. In the center is a square that I cross stitched my daughter's name, the date and my name, with love, of course.

14 comments:

Lori Harris said...

These pictures are great - you can really see the detail!

Lori Harris said...

These pictures are great - you can really see the detail!

Colleen said...

I love your quilt, I started with Georgia Bonesteel's book too. Our children were 15, 13, 4, and newborn. Lap quilting met my needs as a stay at home mom with a new baby. I still use her books and the templates I made back in the
80's when making sampler quilts. The cat fabric you used is so cute.

Stephanie Hughes said...

Debbie, this quilt is beautiful and wonderful. I can't believe it is your first quilt. I love the colors, love the sampler blocks and i love the eyelet trim! I want one! Your daughter will cherish this always.

DarcyLee said...

I love the blue and brown tones together! Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Beautiful!

mjw

kim said...

Your amazing quilts have inspired me to have a go at making my first quilt. Wish me luck!

Debbie J said...

Good luck Florrie!!! Florrie was my mother in law's name. I never met her, but she was a great lady.

kim said...

Thanks for the good-luck wishes. I must confess that this is the fist comment I have ever left....I only discovered the wonderful world of craft blogs this week...what a brilliant place to pass the odd hour, lol.

Debbie J said...

Florrie,

You are welcome anytime. Starting a blog is easy. Let me know if you ever start one. Meanwhile, enjoy all those craft blogs! There are lots and lots of them.

Karen said...

I love your first quilt. You have a great eye for colour.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, you intrigue me. Love the pictures of your quilts - and those of your grandmother. And, now you have a blog commenter named Florrie! Brings great memories to mind. Mother made basically utilitarian quilts from whatever was on hand. I do not believe that any survived with very distinctive layouts.

mjw

Nicole @Team Pipkin said...

oh my goodness...this quilt is beautiful. your daughter will treasure this for years to come.

Becky (My Fabric Obsession) said...

Wow, I didn't realize sails in the sunset was a traditional block! Yours looks great. Mine were so tiny it was frustrating getting them to line up. The HST'S were 2"! Btw- did you know you are a no reply blogger? I couldn't respond to your post.