Thursday, October 15, 2009

Quilt Stories - My First Real Quilt

In 1998 I made my first "real" quilt for my daughter. She had just left home for college and I wanted to make something special for her.



I had always dreamed of making quilts and quilt making was a part of my soul, even before I actually made one.

My first memories of this quilt obsession was when I was about 10. I collected squares of fabric in a box, but never made the quilt. I Don't know what ever happened to that box of squares.

In the early 1980s I ordered Georgia Bonesteel's Lap Quilting book through the mail. I would sit and study this book for hours. I didn't have a quilt frame, so lap quilting was the answer!

So my first real quilt was a Sampler Quilt made from the patterns in this book. The anchor fabric was a "cat" print in blues, browns, and beiges. My daughter liked cats and the color blue a lot when she was young.

Here are close ups of a few of the blocks:

GRANDMOTHER'S FAN



MONKEY WRENCH



PINWHEEL AND CARD TRICKS



CRAZY PATCH



LITTLE DUTCH GIRL/SUNBONNET SUE



SAILS IN THE SUNSET



HOUSE ON THE HILL



THE BACK OF THE QUILT



Not shown is the top right hand block which is a friendship block. In the center is a square that I cross stitched my daughter's name, the date and my name, with love, of course.

14 comments:

BLUE SKY said...

These pictures are great - you can really see the detail!

BLUE SKY said...

These pictures are great - you can really see the detail!

Colleen said...

I love your quilt, I started with Georgia Bonesteel's book too. Our children were 15, 13, 4, and newborn. Lap quilting met my needs as a stay at home mom with a new baby. I still use her books and the templates I made back in the
80's when making sampler quilts. The cat fabric you used is so cute.

Stephanie (A Ditchin' Time Quilts) said...

Debbie, this quilt is beautiful and wonderful. I can't believe it is your first quilt. I love the colors, love the sampler blocks and i love the eyelet trim! I want one! Your daughter will cherish this always.

DarcyLee said...

I love the blue and brown tones together! Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, Beautiful!

mjw

Florrie said...

Your amazing quilts have inspired me to have a go at making my first quilt. Wish me luck!

Debbie J said...

Good luck Florrie!!! Florrie was my mother in law's name. I never met her, but she was a great lady.

Florrie said...

Thanks for the good-luck wishes. I must confess that this is the fist comment I have ever left....I only discovered the wonderful world of craft blogs this week...what a brilliant place to pass the odd hour, lol.

Debbie J said...

Florrie,

You are welcome anytime. Starting a blog is easy. Let me know if you ever start one. Meanwhile, enjoy all those craft blogs! There are lots and lots of them.

Karen said...

I love your first quilt. You have a great eye for colour.

Anonymous said...

Debbie, you intrigue me. Love the pictures of your quilts - and those of your grandmother. And, now you have a blog commenter named Florrie! Brings great memories to mind. Mother made basically utilitarian quilts from whatever was on hand. I do not believe that any survived with very distinctive layouts.

mjw

Team Pipkin said...

oh my goodness...this quilt is beautiful. your daughter will treasure this for years to come.

Becky said...

Wow, I didn't realize sails in the sunset was a traditional block! Yours looks great. Mine were so tiny it was frustrating getting them to line up. The HST'S were 2"! Btw- did you know you are a no reply blogger? I couldn't respond to your post.