Saturday, May 4, 2013

Eli's Warm and Fuzzy Quilt - Finished

This post is linked to A Cultivated Nest (The Creative Home Acre Blog Hop)

ELI'S WARM AND FUZZY QUILT
It was a little emotional for me to realize this was my first sewing for little Eli. I love that baby already!  Here is the finished rag quilt, after one washing and drying.

As promised, here are the rest of the pictures of the process for making this quilt.

Part One of Eli's Warm and Fuzzy Quilt is HERE.

PART TWO:

Make little quilt sandwich blocks with the back fabric face down, the quilt batting centered on top and..


Another fabric face up on top.  I only used 2 coordinating fabrics and the back and front look the same.  A solid color on the back would be nice.  Using 2 fabrics made it very easy to keep everything straight for this grandma.

 
Then I sewed Xs across each sandwich.


I chain stitched them and it went really quick.  I didn't pin, or use a walking foot.  I just held on to the fabric and headed across the square using the same hand position I use when free motion machine quilting.  I stopped about half way across and smoothed everything out to make sure the edges were straight.




They look like this when you get the X sewn...


And then you end up with a stack like this... or


This!

I did pin together the rows to make sure the seams matched up.  A walking foot would have been helpful, but I got along ok without it.  I just hate to stop and switch the feet! 


All of your raw edges will be on top like this.  I used a generous half inch seam allowance.   Then came the hard part!  Clipping all the seams was very hard.  The only hard part about the quilt.  I almost got blisters on my knuckles from using the scissors.  But I kept on until I got all of the seams clipped and then I washed and dried it.  I stopped the dryer frequently to remove the lint and threads from the lint thingie. 


Now comes the fuzzy part!



The back is very smooth and neat.  So the baby can use which ever side he likes the best.  Either way its WARM AND FUZZY!

The back.
 
THE FRONT OF ELI'S WARM AND FUZZY QUILT

9 comments:

May said...

Thank you so much for the fabulous inspiration... Gorgeous quilt..Hugs May x x x

Little Penpen said...

And babies love 'tags'...he'll be fingering through those little cut edges that you blistered your fingers on!! I made Avery a tag blanket when he was a baby and he used to run his little fingers through it while he went to sleep (but he preferred twisting his mommy's hair!)

Auntie M said...

This quilt is precious. Thank you for sharing the tutorial. Eli and Mom will enjoy it.

Kerstin said...

Thanks for this inspiration, that's a wonderful way to use up leftover batting.

Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation said...

beautiful!! The colors are so soft- perfect for a baby!

-Kelly @ My Quilt Infatuation

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

This quilt is just beautiful! I love those soft blues you chose.

Thanks so much for sharing this at The Creative HomeAcre Blog Hope. We hope you'll join us again this Sunday!

Teje Karjalainen said...

Hi Debbie! This looks so beautiful and soft quilt - Eli will love to snuggle with it! x Teje

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

I love it, Debbie, and I love the fabrics you used. I've been wanting to make one of these for awhile now. I think a baby size one would be a good first attempt. It does make for a great baby gift, too.

Melanie said...

Thanks for the tutorial. I'm a new follower. Ilove the idea of using up all the batting. Melanie xxx