Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Grandma's Vintage Quilt Top

This is quilt top made by my grandmother at least 50 years ago, if not more. I've been trying to figure out how to finish it in a way that looks right. I originally planned to hand quilt it, but now am considering free motion quilting. What fabric to use for the back is also something to figure out! Maybe a plain white or beige muslin?

Yesterday when I was thinking about this, I imagined my grandmother looking over my shoulder while I worked on it. I'm sure she would approve of anything I come up with, to tell you the truth. She loved so many of the same things that I do..... quilting, gardening, cooking, home life.....

This is a picture of the whole quilt top on a bed.



These are close ups of some of the fabric. Can you see the little Chinese men?







This quilting project is on my 2009 Sewing To Do List, so I better get busy on it or it will be rolled over to my 2010 Sewing To Do List!

3 comments:

Myra said...

Since this is a vintage quilt, if you are up to it, I would consider hand-quilting at least some of it, maybe machine in the ditch to hold it together then accent with hand.

Brandi said...

Well, I have to agree that my baby is cute :) Thanks for swinging by! If you don't mind, I may be asking questions...I have made a few (well, started a few) quilts, so sometimes I have questions. I hope you don't mind!

Have a great day! I'll be back soon!

Lori Harris said...

I love this quilt. The fabric reminds me of Amy Butler...