Sunday, March 28, 2021

My Sister's Christmas Quilt

This post is linked to:  Quilting is more fun than houseworkConfessions of a Fabric Addict, From Bolt to Beauty.   

 I finished a Christmas Quilt made completely from what I already had on hand.  My sister gave me most of her fabric.  She loves fabric and had bought quite a bit over the years.  But, she decided to de-clutter her house and I was the lucky recipient of some beautiful fabrics.

I decided that since she picked out and bought most of this Christmas fabric, she would most likely like a quilt made from it.  Her birthday is near the end of October, so this will be her gift, just in time to display folded on the back of a chair or the end of a bed.

It is a typical windy March day today, so I had to get creative with the pictures of my quilt inside.  I pulled out a couple of Christmas items to add to the quilt pictures.



It doesn't show up too well in a picture, but the backing fabric has white snowflakes on white.   I don't know why my sister bought 5 yards (+) of this fabric, but it was perfect!  I also love a striped binding and this fabric worked perfectly as well.


One of the fabrics.

It was about 80 degrees outside when I took this picture of some of my Christmas Quilts, but ..... oh well.

I tried something new when I  pin basted this quilt top.  Instead of disrupting our household by pinning on the kitchen table, I tried it out on the table in my sewing room.  I just had to take a few things off it and slide it over to the center of the room.  It works just as well and is out of the way of every thing.  BUT, I remember when I used to baste on the floor and had to move furniture.  I'll never do it that way again!  I was much younger and more able to crawl around on the floor back then though.

 
My sister has good taste!!!  This jelly roll was the 2 1/2 inch width I needed.  I only had to cut the strips into the needed lengths.   I only used the green and red fabrics, so I still have some strips left in the different blues.  I added a few Christmas fabrics that I bought in the past that went with the jelly roll fabrics.



The layer cake fabrics were perfect for the corner triangles of each square and also for the border pieces.

I have beautiful blue fabrics left from the layer cake fabrics too.  I'll definitely be making a blue themed Christmas quilt soon.

 The twin sized quilt batting and all the thread that I used in the making of this quilt was bought with a Joann's Gift Card a few months ago.   Its always so tempting to go to Walmart or a fabric store to pick up additional fabrics to match what I have, but so far in 2021, I have not given into that temptation.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Stats:

68 inches wide

82 inches long

Blocks - 13 inches (finished)

Green outer border: 1 1/2 inches (finished)

Outer pieced border:  6 1/2 inches wide (finished)

5 and 1/2 bobbins were used in the machine quilting.

Happy Quilting!


2 comments:

KatieQ said...

The Christmas quilt is lovely. I'm sure your sister will be delighted to receive it. I like the way you used the layer cake squares as the border. Basting on the floor is horrid. Even when I was young enough to do it, getting down was okay, but by the time I finished crawling around getting the pins in, I had trouble getting up. Now, I wouldn't even attempt it.

Little Penpen said...

There you go again! Another beautiful quilt! I think it’s great you are making it for your sister with a lot of her fabrics. She will be thrilled! Did she used to sew quilts, too?