I normally would only post pictures of quilts if I was working on a new quilt or had finished one and had pictures of the completed quilt. But, life happens and sometimes there is a sad quilt story. Thankfully, this is rare!
Two weeks ago the house my stepdaughter,
her husband and three children (ages 2, 4 and 6) were living in caught
fire and they lost almost everything. The wonderful thing about this
tragic event is that they all got out safely without having a hair on
their head hurt. Thanks be to God! They were renting this house while
waiting for a new house to be built. Thankfully they bought a smoke
detector since there was not one there. The smoke detector woke them
from a deep sleep, each parent grabbed a child or two and ran outside.
They put the children in their van. The fire was spreading so quickly
they could not even go back in to get the keys to the van!!! They only
were wearing what ever they were sleeping in. No shoes. No coats (and
it was a cold night). I don't have to say any more about how close a
call this was! Sadly, two dogs didn't survive.
so thankful that they got out and also for another wonderful thing that
came out of this situation. The family and community have been
absolutely amazing! They were offered a fully furnished house to stay
in at no cost. By the second day after the fire they were living in
this generously offered home. They have been given so many things,
including cash and replacement clothes, toys, etc. They are overwhelmed
with the kindness of people they have never even met! Honestly, they
have more clothes than they have ever had. It will be a long time
before everything is replaced. You don't think about all the "things"
we need and use everyday. The list goes on and on, from driver's
licenses to a basic screwdriver. But they are doing just fine! In a
few months they will be able to move into their new "forever" home.
As we all know, "things" can be replaced!
stepson-inlaw brought me these quilts that I had made, to see if they could
be saved. I tried very hard, but for most of them, it just wasn't meant
to be. The chemicals in the smoke or soot on them acted as some type
of acid which ate holes in the fabric, dissolved quilting threads and
quilt batting. It was also impossible to get the stains out and I'm not
sure if the smoke smell could have been removed.
Only one of the quilts is salvageable. It is the quilt I made back in early 2011 shown HERE
and the name of it is "Farmhouse Magic": It was stored in a closet
that was at the opposite end of the house from where the fire started
and only had a couple of small spots on it. I think it will be just
fine. I aired it out on the clothesline for several hours and then
washed and dried it as normal.
baby quilt that I named "Blue Skies From Now On" was at the daycare, so
it was safe! There were three more baby quilts that couldn't even be
Here are before and after pictures of the ones I tried to save:
already had in my mind (on that never ending quilt dream list) a plan
to make each of the children a new twin size quilt. So I'm going to get
on that ASAP. It takes me a while to make a quilt, but maybe you'll
see some progress on that soon.
Have a great day and check those smoke detectors!