Sunday, July 11, 2021

Victoria's Big Girl Quilt

I finished the scrappy string quilt I have been working on for my granddaughter!  My inspiration was the monthly color of the month blocks that are hosted by the SOSCRAPPY BLOG HERE.   I wanted 5 colors and so I made 4 pink blocks in January, 4 yellow blocks in February, 4 green blocks in March, 4 blue blocks in April and 4 purple blocks in June.  I didn't do any in May.  

I've still been following my plan of not buying any fabric in 2021.  This quilt is completely made from fabric I already had on hand.  Many scraps were used, but hardly a dent can be noticed!    I love to keep lots of 2 1/2 inch strips on hand, sorted by color, which makes these blocks so easy to make.  If I didn't have enough of the color I needed, I then moved to larger pieces of scraps and fat quarters.  I love doing this!

I used my trusty clothesline for this picture.  I hardly ever hang out actual clothes, but I don't ever want it taken down.


More picture taken around the yard.



  



I pieced the back with yellow and purple/lavender pieces.

I tried a different way of binding this quilt, trying to save time.  I sewed the binding on by machine to the back of the quilt, folded it over to the front and used a decorative stitch to finish it.  I was much quicker and I think cute, but in my opinion, you just can't beat a traditional binding.


The pros of this type of binding:

> It's fast and easy

> It's cute

> It's very sturdy

The cons:

> Choose the decorative stitch carefully!  The one I chose has very tiny stitches and are nearly impossible to remove if there is a mistake.  Ask me how I know this!

> Its a little fiddly go across the corners.

> I don't feel like the edges are as straight and are a tad "wavy". 

I will definitely be using this type of binding in the future, especially on baby quilts.  I plan to use ric rac under the edge on the front which I think will be adorable.





4 comments:

The Joyful Quilter said...

Congratulations on your RSC quilt finish!! The recipient is sure love it.

Jenny said...

Such a lovely happy quilt, sure yo be welcomed and loved by Victoria!

Little Penpen said...

What a beautiful quilt!! Your crepe myrtles are gorgeous!! I love the photos and how you style your quilt for great photos. The binding looks great with that little decorative stitch. Next time you make a string block, I want to see a photo of it before you cut it down into the block. I’m wondering if there’s a lot of waste? My little experiment blocks are much smaller than your blocks. I’m still trying to get the feel and hang of this block. Congrats! On a beautiful finish!!!

Linda said...

What a pretty quilt you made for your granddaughter. Great way to use up strips. Like the sashing and cornerstones, they really set off the string blocks. Thanks for your tip about the machined binding - the idea if tucking ricrac under the binding for baby quilts sounds a winner. Another idea to squirrel away!