Thursday, June 3, 2010

Little Boy Blue

Thanks to the long Memorial Day Weekend here is a FINISH! This quilt is one of two that I have worked on for quite a while using the leaders and enders system that I learned at Quiltville. This week I am working on the other one which is identical, except for the borders, and have made quite a bit of progress.



This is a first for me in a couple of ways. One, I washed and dried the quilt before giving it away, which gives it that crinkly quilt feel and secondly, I have listed it in my Etsy Shop. Too bad I don't know anyone who is expecting twin boys, since I will have the second one finished soon.



I am enjoying using my cordless steam iron. I can't believe how much better the quilt squares turn out using steam. I am also striving to have more accurate piecing with an end product that lays FLAT. Paying more attention to how the seams are pressed so that they butt up to each other is making a big difference. I often wondered how the quilters whose quilts were featured in quilting books or some quilting blogs achieved such flat quilt squares. Now I can say that my quilt squares are ending up flat too.



Here's a rocking chair and a little boy's quilt. All we need is a baby boy!

8 comments:

Stephanie Hughes said...

Debbie, I just love this quilt. It is adorable. Love the diagonal sashing/blocks. I have used steam always with a little bottle of water with a touch of starch in the water to spray my seams as I go and that has help considerable keep everything in place. I learned that technique when doing a lone star and how important it is to keep the seems apart. ALSO, I always wash and dry my quilts in the dryer to give it that wrinkled look. I never prewash my fabric just so it DOES shrink and look old! Great job, love it! Stephanie

Little Penpen said...

Beautiful! Cordless iron? Sounds wonderful!

Susan said...

It's gorgeous! I love that crinkled look fresh from the dryer. It gives the quilt the look of already being loved and cuddly. Great job!

Mary L. said...

I love it. I can't wait to throw quilts in the washer and dryer. Love that crinkled old fashioned look!

Heidi said...

This is a beautiful quilt!

Hugs from Holland ~
Heidi

Jamie Rowen said...

You've inspired my next quilt! Thank you! :) I liked the pattern for this quilt.

Jamie Rowen said...

You've inspired my next quilt! Thank you! I rather liked the pattern of this quilt.

Unknown said...

your jungle quilt is outstanding, your cuts are perfect, I have that jungle fabric for my baby boy due in 1 month thanks for sharing.