Thursday, May 30, 2013

Vintage Big Stars Quilt Top

I have found another vintage quilt top made by my Grandma. Just look at those gigantic stars!


I find it interesting that I found this quilt top exactly one day before I finished the marathon quilting of The Grandma Quilt posted about HERE. This quilt top and 30 some star blocks posted about HERE were safely stored in my Mama's cedar chest. For about a week I had felt a strong urging to finish going through the cedar chest to the point of not even being able to sleep a couple of nights.

We have been working in my mother's house, cleaning out things and doing what must be done after a parent passes away. So, yes. The cedar chest and the quilt top and stars all came home to live at our house. Could it be that both Grandma and Mama were urging me to find them? I felt so close to them both when going through the chest and when the first Grandma Quilt was being quilted.

Here are some close up pictures of some of the different fabrics in the quilt.  They all have a very masculine look to them.  The first Grandma Quilt will be my daughter's and this more masculine one will be my son's.  That is, when I am able to part with them!
 
Egyptian!





I have been considering doing "big stitch" quilting on this top.  This is also known as "depression quilting", "Country Quilting", or "Utility Quilting".  I love how this type quilting looks and its much faster.  But, I am having second thoughts about that.  This Quilt top deserves more.  I will have to think about it some more before I embark on another 3 year quilting odyssey!




Thanks Grandma and Mama!  Love and miss U.....

4 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Beautiful! I was reading something the other day on a quilting board and they were asking "how do you decide what 'deserves' hand quilting?". Someone answered "I don't make anything that doesn't deserve hand quiltng." Do you have any other quilters in the family? Maybe you can have an old fashioned quilting bee. I love that there is a quilt for each of your children. :)

Auntie M said...

I go to this blog each day to see what you have found and are embarking upon. You do not disappoint today!!!!!!!!!!

What is "Big Stitch" quilting? I guess maybe that it is self-explanatory.

Kathryn D. Duke said...

tears in my eyes...

Anonymous said...

Hi Debbie,
Your story gave me goose bumps! I wouldn't be surprised if you were suppose to find that quilt top! It was for you to inherit~ I love those fabrics. They are soooo dated! They look like the 1950's. ♥♥♥