Monday, March 12, 2012

Fabric Shopping

Fabric Shopping Supplies:



I've been striving to use what I've got in my fabric stash and to avoid going fabric shopping. But there comes a time in every quilter's life when there just isn't any fabric in your stash to go with the pattern and fabric you are using for a particular project.

Every now and then I need to go fabric shopping and today was the day!

I tried to go prepared so that I could find what I needed as quickly as possible. I cut swatches from all the shirts that are going into the current quilt project and put them in a plastic zipper bag. This way I could just lay the baggie on the bolts of fabric in my cart to "audition" them.

I also got together some 40% and 50% off coupons for the fabric store, along with a gift card I received at Christmas. Yes, I've had the gift card for almost 3 months! I have done really well to have worked on my quilts for months without making any major fabric purchases.

Being prepared was helpful and kept me from aimlessly wandering around.... well somewhat! I still didn't find the fabric needed for the outer border, but I can proceed with inner part of the quilt for now.

5 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Wandering around JoAnn's is only good when you're just looking and don't have a project in mind. Good on you for being organized... the perfect fabric for the outer border will be found!

Mary said...

Sometimes it takes a while to find the right border fabric. I'm very impressed with your organization!

Auntie M said...

You are truly organized! I think that you and I need to review my own fabric stash again. Who knows what we might find.

Susan said...

Great organization! That was a good idea to put the snippets in a bag so you could just hold them up to the fabric!

Deanna said...

Oooo...it sounds like a lovely way to spend some time. I could use a fabric shopping fix.