Tuesday, June 8, 2010

The Summer of 2010 Nine Patch Challenge


I have been wanting to participate in a quilt along for a while and have been quite tempted by several that I have seen on some blogs. I was getting so excited about them and then I realized that I would probably not have time to do a very complicated quilt.

Also, the fact that I already have some quilts in progress helped me decide that I'd better do something simple. And I really wanted to use fabric that I already have, especially some of the scrap soup that I have accumulated.

So when I saw this quilt along on Karen's Quilts, I knew it was the one for me!

The way it works is that you make one nine patch quilt square every day. The quilt along started June 1st, so I am a little behind, but the blocks are so easy and quick to make I will be able to catch up in no time.

The above picture shows two blocks that I made last night and two more that I cut out that are ready to be sewn together. I am going to use my 9 patch blocks to make a quilt like this one at Crazy Mom Quilts. I really love all the quilts at Crazy Mom Quilts!

The blocks for this quilt can be any colors, as the white sashing and scrappy border will tie everything together. So I am going through my scrap bins and 2 1/2 inch strip bins to put together combinations that are pleasing to me. Coming up with these blocks using my favorite scraps is fun.

The only rule I have for this quilting project is that the fabrics look cute together within each block. Each finished block will be 6 1/2 inches square. Since every block is different, strip piecing isn't really an option. I have SO many scraps that I doubt this project will even make a dent into them!

2 comments:

Denise said...

This is a great quilt to help use up the stuff in your scrap soup. I hope to join one of the quilt alongs, maybe next month. I like the idea of a "scrap soup" box I have quite a few pieces that are not big enough to even be fat quarters and I didn't know where/how to catagorize them.

Susan said...

I'm making a 9-patch for a friend (just posted about it for Friday Night Sew-In!), using scraps. For some reason 9-patches are calling to me right now! ;) The white sashing will really make your scrappy blocks pop, I think. Can't wait to see it!