Sunday, September 5, 2021

A Rustic Christmas Quilt / "I Spy Quilt"

This post is linked to the following linky parties:  From Bolt to Beauty, Alycia Quilts, and Quilting is More Fun Than Housework.

This is my second Christmas quilt finish of the year!  I have been able to continue making quilts using this same pattern, using only what I have on hand.  I have only purchased quilt battings in the year 2021.  This means that I have purchased no new fabric to supplement what I have on hand, nor any backing fabrics. 

This quilt is being made for a family whose home has a cabin feel and I was thinking these fabrics would be cute in their family room.  My vision is that it would be a great throw size quilt and could lay folded on the back of the couch when not in use.  

As I was making the quilt, I realized that there are lots of Christmas items and words in the quilt.  So I decided to type up a list of all of them, put the list into a sheet protector and include it with the quilt when I give it to the family.  It might be a quiet activity during the time leading up to Christmas to find these objects in an "I Spy" kind of game.  There are 3 children, ages 5, 7 and 8, who will be using the quilt.   At the end of this post I included the list of items and words.

 
Close ups of some of the fabrics:




I incorporated this panel into the backing fabric.  You might remember that I made a Christmas Tree Skirt using an identical panel which was my first project of the year 2021.  Also, some of the backing fabric has tiny U. S. Flags on it.


Soy Beans are growing in the background.


List of I Spy Christmas Words:

Wreath
Santa
Christmas Tree
Truck Tire
Deer Antlers
Teddy Bear
Ice Skates
Log Cabin
Star
Smoke from a chimney
Snowman
Scarf
Sweater
Sheep
Red Truck
Bird House
Mittens
Bird
Bear Foot Print
Moose
Noel (word)
Christmas (word)
Snow Flake
Mistletoe
Holly
Rabbit
U. S. Flag (In the backing fabric)
Apple
 
I have another Christmas quilt in mind, coming soon, I hope!

4 comments:

Cynthia Brunz Designs said...

I love a good string quilt and this one is lovely. I like that it is I Spy. Thanks for sharing with oh Scrap!

Little Penpen said...

Debbie, this is so pretty. And the colors are such, that they could leave it out year round, if they choose. The “I Spy” words are such a clever addition. They are going to love it! Great to see you “here” again!!!

Sylvia@Treadlestitches said...

Aren't Christmas fabric fun? You found a wonderful variety for this awesome quilt, I'm sure the family will love it. I admire your discipline, using up what you have and not buying more fabric.

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Its beautiful - and will be such fun examining all those amazing prints !!