Saturday, April 2, 2022

Repairing the "Gentlemen's Quarters" Quilt

 

This post is linked to Alycia Quilts-Quiltygirl - Finish or not.

Here it is April 2nd in a new year!  So far I have no new quilt finishes, but one baby quilt is in progress and one OLD quilt has been repaired.

The old quilt is the very well loved quilt I made my son years ago, using his old jeans and flannel.  It has always been one of my favorites.  Y'all!  It is so soft and has a little weight to it.  It has been washed and dried so many times!

You can see a post from 2007 showing this quilt HERE.  I also posted a tutorial for this pattern HERE.  I really love this pattern

Here are pictures showing how it has been well used!
 




 

Below are pictures of how I made the repairs:

I now know better than to use recycled denim for binding....  I removed the old binding which was very worn and was a very time consuming job.

I would never hand quilt through denim again, but I did on this quilt.  Lots of the hand quilting stitches had come loose or the threads had broken.  As a result, there was no way to make the top lay flat EVER again.  In a few places I simply folded over the excess and sewed it down.  I also sewed straight quilting lines with the sewing machine across the whole quilt.

Here I was sewing on the new binding and thought I'd share how close I came to having exactly enough binding.  Had to sew some more on there!

And look how much thread was left on that spool as I came to the end of sewing on the binding. 

Here I was hand sewing down the binding on the back of the quilt on a cold day.  This is probably the coziest quilt I've ever made.

In the process of machine quilting lines on the quilt.

I hand sewed new patches on top of the ripped ones and also hand sewed rows of blocks back together.   Also, some holes were patched in several places.  Then all the new fabrics were machine sewn down as well.


I somehow must have deleted photos I took of the quilt after the repairs were all completed, but I'm sure you get the idea.  It definitely wouldn't win any awards for beauty or precision piecing, but its back together and back in use by my son and his wife.  I really should make him a new one with the same pattern and similar fabrics and that is on my mental list of new projects to dream about.



3 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Good job!!! Now he will get many more years of cuddly love from this quilt! 😜

Chantal said...

Oh! My! You have the patience of the angels to tackle such a job. It was a very tired quilt. Kudos to you for bringing it back to life. ;^)

Alycia~Quiltygirl said...

Repair is a lot of work!!! but you did an amazing job!
And good to know that denim is not a good binding ;-)