Saturday, March 4, 2017

Saturday In The Sewing Room

Good Saturday morning to you! Today I am working in my sewing room and thought I'd share some pictures.

Over at So Scrappy, the color of scraps for the month is red. I have a lot of red scraps, but I am focusing on the smallest ones first and have put together my dark red and light red 2 1/2 inch squares which will be sewn together for the Rainbow Double Irish Chain Quilt I am working on.


Each fabric has a story and I even remember where most of them came from.  There's always a snippet of the NC State fabric in any scrap quilt that I make which has red in it.  Three of these scraps were given to me by my coworker, who makes some of her own blouses.  The mushroom one was in a fat quarter set I received for my birthday a few years ago.  Some of these reds were also in the Field and Furrows log cabin quilt I made for my grandson, Eli, about a year ago, you can see HERE
 

My step son-in-law made this quilt hanging shelf for me for Christmas.  I love it!  The items on the shelf are just there for this picture.  I have plans for what I want to put on there, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  I think a 5x7 canvas print in black and white of our six grandchildren would be pretty. The quilt is probably my favorite of the quilts I have made.  Its the cheddar bow ties quilt that was the leaders and enders project at Quiltville, with Bonnie Hunter, a few years ago.  It contains countless different scraps but the cheddar  color ties everything together.  I did some feather quilting in the border, which was my first attempt at doing that.  I hope to do more and am planning some in the Rainbow Irish Chain Quilt.


One has to keep up her strength when doing a marathon sewing session, so here's a strawberry, blueberry, cheese cake smoothie!  It was delicious and works for the Trim Healthy Mama plan.


Do you ever lay awake at night planning quilts?  I have been doing that lately.  The after 50 years old crowd will understand!   Last night I had table runners on my mind.  I want to make some with a watermelon theme.  I found watermelon scraps when I was digging through my scraps looking for reds!

This post in linked to SCRAP HAPPY SATURDAY.

7 comments:

Little Penpen said...

Yay for you to be in the sewing room today. I had fun telling the boys about the scraps in their quilts. They recognized some of them, which was cool. I love love love your cheddar bow tie quilt. Making a scrap quilt with yellow looks better than white. I used to think everything had to have white in it. :-) your shelf is wonderful, what a thoughtful gift!!

The Joyful Quilter said...

Enjoy your day in the sewing room!! There SHOULD be some Wolfpack fabric in my RED scraps, too. DS1 is in his 4th year there.

Kathy S. said...

I'm totally in the 50-year-old crowd. I too lay awake thinking of quilts I want to make. This year I'm hoping to have more UFO finishes than starts.

a good yarn said...

It's always fun having a day in the sewing room and that smoothies looks delicious. The bow tie quilt is rather striking. Lots of lovely red scraps for RSC.

Nell's Quilts said...

Beautiful reds all lined up ready for stitching. The great thing about using scraps is the memories of past projects that come to mind.

PaulaB quilts said...

You're not the only one loyal to red, so I'll have to see about getting some U Wisconsin Badgers fabric. I love your cheddar bow tie quilt. I've never seen that combination before. Your shelf hanger is so appropriate and the photo would be a highlight. Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the quilting design and colors.