Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Wip Wednesday - Sail Boats

Here is my current Work In Progress, a sailboat quilt for Grandson Number 4.  His Mama is going to use a nautical theme in his room.



I remembered that I had done a sailboat block before, more than 15 years ago, in a couple of sampler quilts.  The pattern came from the book, Lap Quilting with Georgia Bonesteel.  I still love that book, first published in 1982.




So I found my book and then figured out the rotary cutting sizes that would make the same block, instead of using the cardboard pattern pieces that I used "in the old days" before rotary cutting.


Ms. Bonesteel's beautiful version of this quilt.

My version of the quilt will have a white background.  I haven't decided on the border and binding yet.  As for the name for this quilt.... I can't get the name, "Blue Skies From Now On" out of mind.  The backing is going to be blue skies with clouds fabric. 


I plan to quilt swirls underneath the boats to give the look of ocean waves.



This post is linked to WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced.

5 comments:

Marjorie's Busy Corner said...

Lovely quilt Debby....fresh colors and he will love it!

CityHouseStudio said...

So cute! I just love these little boats!

Little Penpen said...

I recognized that book right away! My first quilting book and I still have it memorized. I made that quilt for Will when he was a little boy; pretty much just like the one in her picture... using the cardboard templates! I still have it and it's very worn out. :)) I love the happy colors in your grandson's quilt. This will always be a favorite block for me.

Auntie M said...

Good choice. You still amaze me!

Kymberly said...

Very lovely quilt. The swirls under the boat sound like the perfect way to quilt it.