Thursday, January 30, 2014

Quilting in the snow


I'm enjoying a couple of snow days at home working on a quilt.  These are triangles needed to make a Lemoyne Star quilt.  Each block has eight different purples and violets. 

For each block I randomly pull 8 different sets of two triangles.   Then a white triangle is sewn to one of each set and the remaining 2 colored triangles are sewn together.

I chain piece all the triangles and sew a leader/ender set between sewing each block.  This helps keep each block separate. 


Each row contains five blocks, so I am trying to sew five blocks at a time in assembly line fashion in this order:

1.  Chain piece five sets of eight triangles into squares as described above
2.  Clip apart the squares and stack into five different stacks.
3.  Press the squares
4.  Clip the dog ears
5.  Trim all squares to be 4 1/2 inches.
6.  Lay out one block at a time into the positions they need to be in to make the Lemoyne Star.
7.  Sew the pieces together.

I'll do a post soon that shows the process of sewing the pieces together that has been the fastest and easiest way I've found.

Quilting isn't the only thing going on here.  I've got a pot of vegetable beef soup simmering as I write!  I love snow in the south!

2 comments:

Impera Magna said...

Purples! I love purple and what lovely shades of my favorite color you have going on there!

Homemade veggie soup sounds perfect for this type of weather.

School's out here for students and 10-month staff but I'm working... and boy is it quiet around here today. Main roads are fine but the secondary and more rural roads (where I live) were not so fine when I drove in this morning. Was careful and made it safely... not much traffic out and that helped.

Little Penpen said...

Loving the purple!!