Wednesday, September 29, 2010

A Quilt, or simply a Quilt Top?



This Quilt belongs to a coworker/friend of mine who after telling me about it, brought it for me to see. It was given to her by another friend whose aunt had made it. From her description I thought it would be a quilt top that had never been quilted.

But, after seeing it I decided it was meant to be used as it is. It consists only of the top with no quilt batting or backing. Its COMPLETELY hand sewn using polyester fabric, which makes it quite heavy. Since the squares are set on the diagonal, this makes the edges have a pointy edge, like "prairie points".

Its a beautiful pattern and lots of work went into it! Have any of you ever seen such a quilt that has no backing or batting?

5 comments:

Denise said...

No, can't say as I have, what exactly did the back look like? Did it look unfinished like when we do the ones we work on? It sure is pretty from the photo you shared.

Denise said...

Oh, I have seen ones that are made to have a frayed edge like denium on one side and "neat" on the other.

Little Penpen said...

I have a polyester one that my grandma made that has no batting, just a back lining. It is one of our favorites.

Rhonda said...

Now that's interesting and unique! My mom made me a tied comforter out of polyester squares, and only used a sheet to back it - no batting. it was plenty heavy.

Barb said...

That type of fabric is plenty warm enough...lovely quilt.